June 27, 2013
Tips for Designing an Outdoor Space
Summer is right around the corner! Thinking about creating an outdoor kitchen for entertaining? Designer Sarah A. Blank of Sarah Blank Design Studio is here to help!
Sarah’s things to consider:
- Hiring a landscape architect who takes into account water run-off, sun and wind exposure, how the overall look affects your plantings and views of the yard, and can also design lighting.
- Protecting your outdoor space from the elements.
- Designing a loggia, or an open-air room.
- Outdoor appliances and all-weather materials are a must.
- Designing a subtle look — let your space blend in to its surroundings.
To see full tips by Sarah, check out her feature in the “Kitchen & Bath IQ” column of Connecticut Cottages & Gardens magazine, issue June 2008 ( http://www.ctcandg.com/archive.php )